Facebook has become a powerhouse platform for businesses looking to connect with their customers and prospects online. With over 350 million users interacting online, it’s easy to see the appeal of getting face time on this popular social network.
Facebook user statistics:
- Facebook claims more than 350 million active users.
- Fifty percent of active users log on to Facebook in any given day.
- The average user spends more than 55 minutes per day on Facebook.
That’s a lot of people spending quite a bit of time in one place online. Do you have a stake in that game?
What about Facebook for businesses?
- More than 700,000 local businesses have active Pages on Facebook.
- There are more than 1.6 million active Pages on Facebook.
- Pages have created more than 5.3 billion fans.
If your target market is spending time on Facebook, you should start thinking about how to reach them.
“Dunbar postulated that the typical human being can only have 150 friends… You might be able to stretch to 200 or 400, but no, you can’t effectively engage at a tribal level with a thousand people. You get the politician’s glassy-eyed gaze or the celebrity’s empty stare. And then the nature of the relationship is changed.”
– Seth Godin
Who are your 150 people? Who are the influencers you REALLY need to pay attention to?
This is important because you can’t be all things to all people. You can’t reach everyone intimately. You probably don’t want to. But you can be relevant, engaging, and useful to a small group of people. Get some traction going there and build momentum.
Facebook friend stats:
- Average user has 130 friends on the site
- Average user sends 8 friend requests per month
- Average user is a member of 12 groups
Eternal welcome mode:
“Every day, new people show up at your blog, on Facebook, everywhere.”
– Seth Godin
Thousands of people are still learning the ropes of social media and Facebook. And even if they’ve been around the block a time or two, they may still be new to your blog, your Facebook page, or your Twitter feed.
Make it easy for new users to interact with you. Lay out the welcome mat and show them around. Help them get to know you. Be sure to integrate your social profiles on your website and in your email campaigns, and use every opportunity to invite people to follow you.
- Average user becomes a fan of 2 pages each month
- Average user is invited to 3 events per month
It’s all about interaction:
“Now Facebook mostly displays items that got engagement. You know, comments. Likes. Tagging. Etc. …you only see the items that your friends have found important enough to comment on or ‘touch’ in some way.
“Overnight my news feed went from something that looked pretty cold and lame to something that has tons of ‘warmth.'”
– Robert Scoble
Social media users delight in connection, interaction, sharing. Your goals should be to stimulate conversations, comments, and life on your pages. Because if your content is worthy of comment, you could be showing up on radar screens for not only your fans, but their friends as well. Look for ways to create these opportunities, and keep the conversation rolling when they happen.
Facebook Interaction Stats:
- Average Facebook user clicks the Like button on 9 pieces of content each month.
- Average Facebook user writes 25 comments on Facebook content each month.
Create worthy contributions:
“One of the keys to success in building a fan base with your Facebook efforts is to consistently add great content and engagement.”
– Robert Scoble
More than 3.5 billion pieces of content are shared each week on Facebook. What are you contributing? Links, articles, blogs, how-to’s, news, profiles, photos, podcasts, videos: you can find a hundred different ways to dazzle your audience on Facebook. What are their burning questions? What is it they truly desire? Is anything confusing or worrying them?
You can be the voice they turn to for guidance, hope, inspiration, or a good laugh. Above all you must be worthy of their time and attention.
Facebook content creation stats:
- More than 35 million users update their status each day
- More than 55 million status updates posted each day
- More than 2.5 billion photos uploaded to the site each month
- More than 3.5 million events created each month
Deliver the goods:
“Social media only accelerates the inevitable”
– Bryan Eisenberg
Social media can form connections with clients and prospects. After that, it’s up to you to keep them satisfied, and build long-lasting relationships. The best social media campaign in the world won’t make up for bad service. But engaging your customers and prospects online can open the door for them to do business with you.